- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- ½ cup lentils, uncooked
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme, crushed using a mortar and pestle
- 8 small bell peppers, tops removed and seeded
- ⅔ cup water chestnuts
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, without leaves, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Combine the brown rice, lentils, chicken stock, salt, and thyme, and cook until the rice and lentils are done, about 45 minutes. Add a little chicken stock if necessary.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers. Remove the seeds and inner membranes and rinse well. Set aside.
- Melt the margarine and sauté the water chestnuts, parsley, minced garlic cloves, and all of the vegetables until tender.
- Combine all ingredients except the peppers and mix well.
- Stuff the vegetable/grain mixture (½ cup per pepper) into peppers and place in a baking pan with ⅓ inch of water in it.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes at 325°. Remove the cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the tops are browned.
Recipe courtesy of Canyon Ranch. Used with permission.